Friday, November 17, 2006

Safari!!!




WELL november 11-14 came the long awaited safari. My wonderous friend Sarah came down from Kenya to visit and for a safari i planned to the serengeti and ngorongoro crater. Three other ladies joined us including Jan, who has worked with me here, Naomi and Kay who are two other friends here. it was a great break and awesome that i could experience it with a close friend! It was camping and I have to say one night we were positive there was an animal walking around outside our tent and I thought my heart was going to beat out of my chest. Whew!! I think it was mostly the wind but I have to say I for SURE heard footsteps!! eee! kreebles. there was no way thought that I was going to open the tent door to look out- no way hosea.
We lived in luxury and had a chef and a driver. but they were both pretty essential especially with the amount of driving, paying for park passes, knowing where to drive, radioing with other drivers to know where animals are, the late hour we got into camp and therefore exhausted and having someone cook food was just the right thing.
we saw many animals!! a cheetah with a kill, a leopard with a kill, about 44 lions in all, maybe 30 elephants, hyenas, gazelles, impalas, topi's, hartebeests, wildebeests, guineafowl, hooded vultures, hippos, crocs, monkeys, baboons, don't forget the GIRAFFES!! they are so cool, lovebirds, many other birds, cape buffalo, zebras, crowned cranes, flamingos....

wow!! it was great. the vehicle and a roof that raised up so i pretty much just stood up the whole time with the wind in my face. glorious. we also visited a Masaai village where they danced for us and showed us their huts. and we visited Olduvai (properly it is "oldupai") Gorge, where prints of historical two legged 'hominid' creatures have been found apparently from 3.6 million years ago...take a look at it on the internet... it'll bring up many questions. pretty interesting when you are travelling with a variety of christian backgrounds in one small vehicle!!

2 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

And it was GREAT!!!! It was truly a wonderful time! Thank you Lindsay for all your work in organzing it! I had a blast. It was also nice to spend some time with you. I feel very much refreshed and ready to get to work. I can't believe in three weeks you will be here!! Ok. lot's to do before then. See you soon my friend!

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Jane said...

Makes me want to read the story of Noahs ark again!

So glad you two were able to meet up. I can imagine you had so much fun together.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home