Thursday, October 12, 2006

community development


this is the 'sickness calendar' Mama Leticia made for us. (women here with children or married are 'mama' to all. older women are 'bibi' and I am 'dada'- sister). The months are along the bottom, and sicknesses go up the side, such as malaria and hookworm. She showed us which months are usually the worst and best for which sicknesses in children.



This is Mama Leticia Pauline working on the calendar, with one of her daughters beside her, and a village health worker. The Growth Monitoring Health Program, or Community Based Health Care, is run by the people of Buhumbi Village. It was started in 1993 by (now this is hard to get clear, but i think this is correct) the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Tanzania, which also worked with ELVD (East of Lake Vic. District) of the AICT (African Inland Church Tanzania). Now CRWRC works as a partner with Buhumbi and its District Magu (which is a District in the region of Mwanza (the city I am living in). I have been going over lots of quarterly reports about programs that have gone on in Buhumbi. One thing important, that seems rather obvious but I'm writing it anyways, is that in community development it is so important to allow the community itself to do the work. Not to allow them to think they cannot do something on their own, and need someone (with white skin perhaps?) to bring money and build things. Sustainability comes from allowing the strength within the community to show itself. Also from having hope because of Jesus Christ- hope that there is more, and not having fatalistic attitudes that things cannot change, or that they were not meant to be changed.

7 Comments:

At 5:13 PM, Blogger LindsayAnne said...

haha yeah- no power! amazing hey

 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lindsay. I just finished reading your second letter, and clicked on the link that took me here. I'm impressed with the amount of information you are including here. I appreciate your observations and your reflective insights. This is quite and experience, eh?
I want to assure you that the congregation prays for you every week, and your name is in every Sunday's bulletin. We continually commit you to God's care, and that you will experience the joy that comes with knowing that you are making a difference.

Blessings,
Pastor John

 
At 2:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Linz, Pete here. Looks like your work is progressing and you have a solid grasp on the situation and what needs to be done. I'm sure you are a blessing to the communities that you work with. Great pics...its funny, those maps remind me of Dr. spallings classes- just how he described it and showed it to us. Hope all is going well, I will pray for rain and strength for you.
God bless,
Pete

 
At 2:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Lindsay for sharing your experiences with us. I echo Pastor John's sentiments.
Appreciated your last paragraph. Tricky business helping to help one help oneself 'specially if despair has trumped hope. Take care. Will mention you tomorrow night in our elders meeting.
Devin's dad.

 
At 3:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kinsey. Looks like you guys are doing some real work out there. You're so right, if people don't have hope there's no point in trying to help. And it also doesn't help to do everything for people cause once you leave, whatever good you did will stop. You're so on the right track. God bless as you continue. I'll pray for rain. I wish you were here! Better yet, I wish I was there!

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger LindsayAnne said...

hey guys, thanks for the comments! they are so encouraging and i'm so glad to share some of this experience with you

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

My dear friend,
I agree with Peter, it kinda feels like pics from Dr.Spaling's classes! Haa.. Your thoughts on community development are so true! That concept is always in my head as we work with communities here. We use words like ownership and transformation. Can't wait to see you!!! I'm buying my ticket this week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home