Thursday, September 14, 2006

All is Well!

Well, there are so many things to say. I have been introduced to many people as well as trying to converse in a language that I am completely unfamiliar with, and keep finding myself trying to talk creole (language in Haiti which I can get by with) to all the passing people. Tomorrow I begin Swahili class, and will take this class for two weeks, two hours per day (unless I decide that it too much). My day consisted of walking to my supervisor's (Steve, from CRWRC) house which is down the road from the treehouse about a 10 minute walk, navigating my way under the scorching sun and along the road on which people drive on the left side!! We went to the language school, set up a class, and then went for lunch. So far my time has been alot of sleeping- it is 9 hours ahead of home here and I don't kn (ow what my body wants. Just sleep I suppose. Then I went for supper to a restaurant run by women, part of an organization that works with women who need education and support. It was very good, and not expensive.
I feel that I am living a high life, in that I've gone out for meals, been served breakfast, had Winnie (the wonderful Tanzanian woman who works at the Treehouse) make my bed and do my laundry (being a guest here in Tanzania is very important I am finding, and it is best, being culturally sensitive (as much as this goes against my honest desire to clean my own dishes and fry my own egg for breakie and make my bed), to allow myself to be treated as such: a guest. I am sure as time goes on I will be able to help with a few things, maybe even weed the garden.
My flights went well, as well as my day in London. British Airways is very strict about luggage and carry on, but very generous with their service. I even had a small bottle of wine with my dinner, and have an English accent resounding in my head:)
Steve and his wife Jan are very hospitable, and I think I will make friends with their 3 young boys who are eager to share any information they have learned.
Tomorrow we will go visit the community Bahumbi where the monitoring of child health has been going on for 10 years (which is the data that I will be working with for my internship).
Life here takes time, and time is not such an issue. Things will happen slow or fast, depending on who and where.
Mwanza is a multicultural centre, and full of different people such as Sikh's, Hindu's and Muslims, as well as Christians, all tied together by a common lanuage: the 'lingua franca', Swahili. Lake Victoria can be seen from the veranda at the Treehouse, and I can hear cows, goats and chickens, and there is an ant crawling across my screen, and geckos are near.
It is very pleasant and I can see that God is providing for me in all things. I am excited to learn and grow, and hopefully be of service to CRWRC.

This is long enough I am sure, and I have much more to share but I shall stop here. Keep in touch! Amani! (peace)

2 Comments:

At 2:28 AM, Blogger CIA said...

Hello, Linds!
So good to hear you're settling in. I hope you love what you're doing and that you pick up the language really quickly. But how come you're only studying it for two weeks? Anyway, keep in touch. I will be checking back here, even if I don't leave comments.

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger LindsayAnne said...

Hey cia...
Its just cuz they offer 4 week swahili classes but i'm putting it all in a smaller amount of time since i'm not here for that long:) thanks for the comment bud:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home